Sunday, September 13, 2015

Making a Text Editor

This post will show you the basics of making a text editor with Scratch. Please note that this text editor does not work with capital letters.


Start by making the costumes for your text editor. Name the costumes their respective letters. IMPORTANT: NAME THE COSTUMES WITH ONLY LOWERCASE LETTERS OR IT WILL NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY! You will need to make a costume for every character you want to be able to use.
These costumes are pixelated, you can make yours however you want though.





Next make a custom block like the one in the image below. If you complete this tutorial and understand how it works, you can change the attributes to whatever you want them to be.

The custom block I am using for my text editor.

Now you need to put the block to use. Make your code exactly like the image below. You can edit it later if you want. Be sure to make the variables before you do this step.
I apologize for the foggy screenshot. I hope you can still see the code.

Now the final step: Resetting the text editor when you start the project. This is a very simple step.
Set TextEditorY to whatever y value you want the text to start at.

And you're done! Please be sure to give me credit if you use this tutorial to make a project. I hope it was helpful, and stay tuned for more tutorials on this site!

Here's my finished platformer: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/49999658/
I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment